Clerks’ Alumni network
The clerks believe in the importance of fostering links between existing and former clerks of the Court. A platform like the Clerks’ Alumni Association allows existing and former clerks to maintain both professional and social links with one another, to share ideas and engage in dialogue. The work being initiated by the network thus far includes developing an up to date database of the former clerks, a Christmas charity fundraiser in December,an annual human rights day event,an intervarsity moot competition and networking evenings between former and existing clerks.
The Association has been constituted as a Voluntary Association and registered with the Department of Trade and Industry: Non-Profit Directorate. The Constitution may be accessed on this link.
The Management Committee
The Management Committee is set up as follows – the Chairperson (Okyerebea Ampofo-Anti), Vice-Chairperson (N Raboshakga), Secretary (L Chamberlain), Treasurer (L Govindsamy) and 3 other persons.
The current Management Committee members are:
- Okyerebea Ampofo-Anti was at the Court from January to December 2006 during which time she clerked for Chief Justice Pius Langa. Okyerebea is currently completing her articles at the Johannesburg office of Webber Wentzel Bowens. Okyerebea is the chairperson of the Association.
- Sharon Brink clerked for Justice Kate O'Regan from January to December 2006. Sharon is completing her LLM and is currently completing her articles with the Johannesburg office of Edward Nathan Sonnenburg.
- Lisa Chamberlain worked at the Court from January to December 2006 and clerked for Justice Skweyiya. Lisa is currently completing her articles at the Johannesburg offices of Cheadle Thompson & Haysom.
- Leanne Govindsamy was at the Court from January to December 2007 and clerked for Justice Madala. Leanne is currently completing her articles at the Johannesburg office of Cheadle Thompson & Haysom.
- Sha'ista Kazee worked at the Court from July 2006 to June 2007 and clerked for Justice Bess Nkabinde. Sha'ista is currently working as an associate at the Cape Town firm, Mallinicks Inc.
- Ngwako Raboshakga clerked for Justice Bess Nkabinde at the Court from January to December 2007. Ngwako is currently completing his LLM at Wits University, while a fellow at SAIFAC, the latter having granted him a scholarship for the LLM.
- Rebecca van Es completed her articles at the Cape Town office of Bowman Gilfillan in January 2008. She is currently clerking for Chief Justice Pius Langa.
- David completed his BA and LLB at the University of Cape Town, and his LLM at the Centre for Human Rights at the University of Pretoria. He is currently clerking for Justice Mokgoro.
Contacting the Alumni network